Unhurried

The sun has set over our small country neighborhood, calling in a surprise chill breeze, reminding us we're still knee deep in the mild Texas winter.

We spent the last few hours digging into our soft flower beds - planting seeds of curiosity and unearthing insects and wonder at the hidden life God has created. Our energy was used to jump rope in rhythm to rhymes I learned in my own childhood. "Cinderella dressed in yella.."

Lessons in double-dutch and spotting poison ivy sparked giggles and crinkled brows. We stared up into the sky inspecting birds' nests and stretching our arms towards the seemingly translucent moon - dreaming of flying ourselves.

In these moments of quiet contentment I shed the dogged worries and persistent insecurities which garner too much of my mental energy.

I bask in the simplicity of an unplugged evening meeting my children's thirst for love and attention. Today, I was enough. My fumbling answers and limited knowledge temporarily satisfied their probing questions. Absorbing and enjoying the warmth of the sun and speaking kindly to every neighbor that passed served as a full to-do list.

I wish every afternoon could be so unhurried, cherished.

I thank God for the stillness of today amidst a life that sometimes seems a relentless hurricane of car problems, medical bills, dreams deferred, and hanging on for dear life.

Today I was sweetly lured back to trusting and resting in my creator.

No comments