A Note to my friends after the election

I'm really amazed an African American was elected. I'm sorry Jesse for downplaying the historic moment. I let my natural pessimism overshadow the moment.

This election says something new to our children that was never before true, to my forebearers that lived in a world where they were hated, beaten, feared, enslaved, persecuted, and even lynched for their skin color.

It says something new to a 27 yr. year old Texan that is sick of choking down the bigotry, racism, and persecution found everywhere in my society from the local grocery store to the local church.

I am honestly disappointed in my friends that voted for Obama merely because of his skin color, but I understand the cry for an equality that still doesn't exist in my day.

In the last few months, I have put up with a lot of crap from my friends who do not understand the minority, feel little pity for the poor, are more concerned about their money than their neighbor, and have the audacity to believe in the majesty of Republican politics even after its moral and social failure of the last 8 years.

I did not vote for Obama, but I feel equal disdain for the so-called conservative party.

To them I say: your arguments have not won me over, and your actions have not impressed me nor apparently the Nation.

Frankly Obama holds wildly immoral beliefs, but I find that same immorality deeply rooted in most people that I talk to. People who call themselves pro-life, but fiercely defend the death penalty and wage war over oil, but refuse to send troops to fight genocide. I could go on, but I fear you'd stop reading.

I don't mean that I hold any more respect for a party that justifies 1.3 million abortions a year, socially crippling same sex marriage, and pushes an agenda in our schools that is so humanistic that truth is equal to fiction.

What I do feel is relief. I am relieved that America is about to have its shirt ripped open and the festering wound of racism will be exposed. No one will be able to tell me I am imagining it and no one will speak to me of the amazing progress we've made.


WE WILL BLEED.


I hope it disgusts you. I hope it shocks you. I hope you will carve it out of your own heart.

And perhaps, someone will do something so that my child does not have to bear the wounds of ignorance and intolerance on her very soul.

To my Republican friends: I hope that you will each find some way to demonstrate your Christian faith with Democrats in power.

To my Democratic Friends: I hope that you will each find some way to demonstrate your Christian faith with your newfound power.

To my non-Christian friends: I hope that we will show ourselves worthy of your respect.

I love you all.

No comments